Friday, April 8, 2011

Wildlife

Here at Carter Ranch we have a couple of ponds. The kids have told me about the turtles that live there. I had pictured little turtles and not many of them. But I walked down to the park the other day and took pictures of them. We probably saw 6 of them before they jumped in the water.

Here is a couple laying on the log getting warm. They are bigger than I expected! The shells are probably 18" round. I tried to get closer for a better shot, but they are shy and slide into the water if you get to close. (click on the picture to enlarge and see them better)

This guy surfaced just in front of me. He kept getting closer, until Tanner came yelling "MOM"
The ponds are also full of fish that are for catch and release. The boys have had a ton of fun! One of the big ponds has big catfish that apparently like hotdogs. Titus is very excited to see if he can catch some! I've also been told there is a duck nest around. I want to get over and take pictures...I will soon, hopefully before and after the eggs hatch.
We have had some fun learning about the different animals that live here. We have seen cranes, ducks, turtles, (smell) skunks, hawks, owls, opossum, and armadillo (it might have been dead). We haven't seen any snakes, but have been learning about them, since there are a few that are poisonous that live here.

1 comment:

Handsfullmom said...

Cool! I'm sure your boys are loving it.