Monday, August 31, 2015

Doctors & Donuts

Last week Tobyn and Tanner were sick with some kind of stomach bug. In Tobyns case it only lasted 36 hours. Tanner's on the other hand lasted longer and was off and on over several days. Being the first week of school, we decided that we needed to take him to the doctor. It was a day that Connie had to work so it was just Tanner and I.

While we were siting in exam room, I noticed that Tanner had a picture of Link on his shirt. In the Zelda game series, the look of the characters changes with the different games, not a huge change, but enough that even an "old man" like myself could distinguish between the avatars. It triggered in my memory one of the many songs that come from that game franchise, so I started whistling it.

Tanner looked at me like I had lost my mind and said, "that's not the right song."  I looked at him like a loving father that needs to nicely correct his young, Nintendo playing son. I played the Zelda games growing up, in fact they were some of my favorite games, I know what I'm talking about. I said, "yeah, it's the one that has the little fairy that says 'listen' when she has something to tell you." He looked at me with the most serious face a 7 year old boy can produce, grabbed the edge of his shirt and stretched it so I could see the writing on it, The Ledgen of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

He sat there, holding his shirt, staring at me like that solved everything. "I know what game it is, I played it before you were born." Still looking at me like I escaped from the mental ward, he asked to see my phone so he could "show me" that it wasn't part of that game. Being the good dad that I am, I took the opportunity to place a wager on this misunderstanding. I bet him a donut that the song was in fact, a part of the series Wind Waker.

I had him! I could see the doubt creep into his eyes, maybe dad is right. I told him if he was right, I'd buy him a donut on the way home, and if I was right he had to buy me a donut. He looked at me a little concerned, and didn't want to. Now I was getting a little excited, he was growing uncertain, bwahaha! "I can't dad, I don't have any money to buy a donut if I lose." "Okay" I said, "I'll give you a dollar so that you can buy me a donut if you lose." The look of doubt changed into something more confident. I was taken aback he wasn't worried about losing, he just didn't have a dollar in case, by a small sliver, dad was actually right.

I dug my phone out of my pocket, the wager was set, who was going to be right and get a delicious donut... After several frustrating minutes he asked for the phone so he could find it. A couple of quick swipes of his tinny fingers and he had a YouTube video pulled up. The little stinker knew what he was looking for, a video that had all the different themed songs in a 2 hour reel. As it played he sat there at told me each part of the game that each song represents. I was wrong. I lost a bet to 7 year old and now I owed him a donut... And it was worth it.


No comments: