Sunday, August 22, 2010

Swimming

Last week Connie promised the boys that they would go swimming with some friends as the last sha-bang before school started again. The day the went the weather did cooperate and there were thunderstorms all over so the pool was closed. They were supposed to go with the Hessing family.

It got moved to last Saturday and I got roped into going. I like swimming, but I like to go swimming when there is a cliff to jump off, rope swing to swing off, old boat house to ride a bike off (ah...the good old days), bridges and trees to jump out of, and boats or other fun things to ride in the water.

Getting to the point, our boys are fish and love to go to the pool. I don't really like the pool. While we were there, TC and Titus and their friends were over at the diving board, so I went over to see what was going on. I got challenged to dive off because some other old guy had just done it. So I did.

They were all blown away that I could do a swan dive. Next I tried to talk the boys into doing a flip. they all backed down with embarrassed "No's," and "I can't, I'll land on my back." Needless to say, they all got shown up by the old man...yep...I still got it. ;-)

Tate came to me not to long after that and was pretty upset about not being able to swim yet. He was embarrassed because he didn't want people to make fun of him for the fact that Tobyn was better at swimming then he was. He really wanted to go of the diving board like his brothers.

We spent a good half hour practicing how to swim to the surface once he jumped of the side. By this time he was getting really good and Tobyn showed up and wanted to go off the diving board too. They both practiced some more and got to the point that they could jump in the water, swim to the top, then swim 4-5 feet to the side without help from dad.

Now the both though they were ready for the big, bad low-dive. I talked to the lifeguard and got permission to be in the water to help to the side after they jumped in. They were both ecstatic with the news that they would get to go off the diving board. Tobyn was up first (only because he couldn't hold back the excitement and butted about 5 people.)

He climbs up the steps bouncing with joy, yelling at the girl that just went off to hurry so he could go. He comes strutting out to were the rail ends and stops, fear stricken and panicked. I tell him that he has to jump off the end and I'll help him swim to the side when he come back up. He gives me the look of death and turns around and gets off. Tate is now not sure what to think, Tobyn, fearless little brother Tobyn just came running back. He walks out the were the rail ends, same look as Tobyn and asks if he can jump into my arms? I told him he couldn't, that he'd have to jump off the end.

Unfortunately the line was building up behind him, and he decided not to jump. If the line wasn't so big I could have talked him into going off. They didn't get to go off the diving board, I don't think they were to bummed, but I loved spending the time with both of them practicing and would go every time to the pool if it helped them build their confidence levels.


No comments: