Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wilford Donald Biesinger, My Dad


On January 6, 1999 Wilford Donald Biesinger passed away. He was a good guy that taught me a lot about life and loved me no matter what my mistakes. Mind you, he did yell and shake his fist (or cane) at me with those mistakes, but I always knew he still loved me.
As I get older I can pin point the traits I got from my dad. His sense of cheesy jokes (believe me if there is one out there I’ll laugh at it and so would he), my stubbornness (which I have learned is a Biesinger trait in general), his teeth :-), and more. I cherish these traits, although sometimes I could be a little less stubborn. He taught me a lot about life and how to live it. Unfortunately it took me going through some of the things to see what he meant.
I also have realized that throughout the years I am not the only life he touched and made an impression on. I have run into people, some literally (I warned you about the cheesy jokes) and they have all said “I knew Don and he was a good man” I have sat around campfires with family thinking about years past and someone will mention him and say “I miss that guy” Usually I smile and say “Me too.”
Some might use the phrase “we Lost a great man” I have even said the word “lost” occasionally, but the truth is he wasn’t lost. Thanks to the Plan of Salvation, I know exactly where he is. I am pretty sure it’s better than here. It’s hard to know sometimes that he had other work that needed to be done. There are area’s I needed to grow in that I could not do while he was here, but there is no doubt in my head that he looks down, stands beside, and uplifts us whenever he can take a moment from the Lord’s work that I am sure he is doing on the other side.
There is so much more I could say, but that would take too long. He has 5 grandsons to carry on a legacy that is up to me to let them know about and see how Don Biesinger changed their mom’s life and theirs.
Just to let you all know that I have NOT taken a New Year’s Resolution to make all my post heavy and deep in thought I will leave you with a few of my dad’s (and some of my) favorite jokes; Caution some might be a little crude but that was dad:
-What did the Lady say when the Bee flew down her shirt? Boo Bee
-I see said the blind man as he peed into the wind- It’s all coming back to me now.
-What do you call a quadriplegic dog? Doesn’t matter he won’t come anyway.
- Who’s on first?
Naturally!
So you throw the ball to naturally?
No who’s on first!
Naturally! (Abbot and Costello…for all you uneducated)
Love you Dad, We all miss you!

10 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

This is an awesome post. I love it, thanks so much for sharing it. As far as his important work on the other side, I wonder sometimes if that important work isn't to be able to hover around your family, helping and influencing in ways he couldn't do here on earth.

Jamie said...

What a sweet post!

Carrie said...

What a wonderful tribute! I love the way you speak about your father and the memories of him.

oodlesofoversons said...

That is a really nice tribute to your father. I'm sure he was an amazing person. Thanks for sharing, Connie.

Darci said...

Oh Connie- you got me bawling! What a beautiful tribute for your Dad! Thank you for sharing- especially about the uplifting plan.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Im sure your dad would be proud of you!

haley said...

I agree with what you said; I feel the same way about my dad still being there even though it's from the other side. I guess I don't think that much changes.

Katie said...

Connie, It's Katie Myers here. I lost my mom unexpectedly 4 1/2 years ago. I know how hard it is to always miss your parent and wish that they could see your kids and be around for all of the important stuff you're doing in your life. I'm sure, like you, that he is around for all of that stuff!!! Thank goodness for the gospel and the knowledge that we'll be with them again. I enjoyed your post. It sounds like your Dad was a fun guy and he has a great daughter!!!

from Lanette and Patrick said...

Thanks for making me cry Connie... I understand many things that you said. I remember one time a long time ago we were talking about our dads. I wanted to ask you something but we got interrupted. What is it about the railroad tracks? Why do you see him there?

Whitney said...

I remember seeing him at church... he always had a smile on his face... I know our family sure misses him!