Thursday, August 9, 2012

The experiment...the begining

 Everyone talks about being addicted to media; video games, computer games, Facebook, Youtube, twitter, etc. Our family probably,well... definitely, falls into that category. We are CONSTANTLY on the computer, game consoles and phones. I am embarrassed to say how many hours a day the kids and I are on these things. It really is sad. But in a way I feel justified. It's HOT! There isn't a lot to do around here and there aren't many friends to hang out with.

Over the past several weeks things have been escalating...big time! My kids hang out with friends but you guessed it, it's playing video games or watching video's on the computer. They fight constantly! I knew I  hit my limit when I lost my voice yelling at the kids to stop yelling....I know I know....that's what I am talking (typing) about. It is beyond pathetic.

The solution? Get rid of it all! I can't completely be rid of the computer because it is a major need. My schooling is all online. BUT I have hidden all of games and two of the game consoles. The desk top is no longer in working condition. I won't say how in case one of my children read this, and my computer time is completely limited to updating this blog (and a quick post on FB, the app is going to be removed from my phone so I can only update FB when I update the blog on this computer). I kept the Playstation plugged in so that we can watch an occasional movie, but that will be limited to 2 movies per day or = to two hours of movie time per day.

Honestly...I feel guilty! I just barley unplugged everything and I already feel like a mean mother. My goal is to be fairly electronic free for 1 month starting tonight...or tomorrow morning when they wake up and realize it's gone. I am sure there will be detoxing and withdrawals, sad but true.

It's not worth is though! I am sick and tired of the fighting going on in this home and 80% of it due to one electronic or another. So here is goes. I suppose the experiment in it all is to see if we can stay this way for one month and see if it truly makes a difference in the fighting and contention. Check in for my updates and reports :-) Lets see if this mom of 5 Nintendo addicted boys can survive this!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

That is a good idea. I need to do it for myself. I usually limit the kids TV time (except when I don't feel good) but I'm on my phone a lot more than I should. Good luck! At the end of the month, you'll be so glad you did it!